Sunday, September 6, 2009

Installing windows installers in Ubuntu

I've been wanting to install some windows application in my Ubuntu System. While I was browsing through some sites, I found out that you can actually do this by installing the Wine application in your local machine.

The Wine application will allow you to install and use some of the Windows applications in your system. To do this, you need to:
  1. Navigate to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
  2. Search for the wine application.
  3. Mark this all for installation, then Install.
Once this has been installed, you can then browse the net for some windows installer files. To use wine on this file:

  1. Right click on the windows installer file and choose, 'Open with "Wine Windows Program Loader"'.
  2. Follow the usual wizard to install it in your system.
Once the program has been successfully installed, you can then navigate to Applications > Wine > Programs and choose the application you've installed.

I tried it out with Firefox and it worked like a charm. Perhaps, you can use this with other popular windows application. If this doesn't work, you can always opt for a VM instead.

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter